lactostasis - it is triggered by a blockage of one or more milk ducts stagnation of milk in the mammary glands.Lactostasis develops mainly in nulliparous women in the first ten days after delivery.
With all the external variety, internal structure of the breast is the same for all women: under the skin surrounded by fatty tissue is glandular tissue, divided into several strands of connective tissue (15-20) major stakes.These shares branch out into smaller segments, which, through the excretory ducts open out to the nipple.If any of the duct may obstruct the free expiration milk out, a so-called "milk jam".As a result, the mammary gland is unable to empty completely, and there lactostasis.
At the heart of the stagnation of milk in the milk ducts are violations of the rules and rhythms of feeding a child, improper pumping milk.Much less lactostasis triggered by stressful situations and hypothermia.The wrong underwear can lead to strokes and clamping breast milk stagnation in the
lactostasis poses no threat to the health of the nursing mother and her child.However, illiterate corrective actions (and inaction) can provoke unwanted effects.
Eliminate lactostasis necessary as soon as possible (within 3-4 days), to avoid the development of its complications - acute purulent mastitis.When long-term presence of milk in the milk ducts, they begin the process of fermentation and serous (purulent) inflammation.This creates favorable conditions for the development of infection, pathogenic flora to proliferate at the site lactostasis damages the walls of the milk ducts and spreads to the surrounding tissues.
If a woman monitors the status of your breast, observe the simple rules of feeding the child and promptly empty the chest, lactostasis will not be a problem for her.
Any cause disruption of the normal outflow of milk is milk moves also cause lactostasis.The most common ones are improper feeding baby breast and non-compliance with the rules of the manual emptying of the mammary glands (breast pumps), namely:
- Limiting the child's stay at the breast.Not all babies can be filled quickly, feeding time for each individual.If a child eats properly, breast well drained, if it remains after feeding a lot of milk may develop lactostasis.
- During feeding women should not squeeze the breast with your fingers.This applies to those cases where the nipple is clamped between the index and middle fingers (the so-called "scissors"), and his fingers pressed into his chest.
- Rare feeding.Feeding should be organized in such a way that the breast milk is not full.Some women believe that the baby will drink more milk, if it is good hungry, and apply it to the breast less.Meanwhile, the baby will drink as much as you can, and excess milk "stuck" in the milk ducts and trigger the process lactostasis.
- Incorrect posture mother and / or infant during breastfeeding.
- overly aggressive after pumping between feedings and stimulates the production of additional volume of milk which is not necessary for the child will remain in the gland after feeding.
- The premature introduction of the diet of artificial mixtures can cause failure of the child from breastfeeding and the subsequent stagnation of accumulated unused milk.
- avoidance of breastfeeding.
Much less lactostasis may occur due to the presence of narrow ducts, is a variant of the normal anatomic structure of breast cancer in some women.If a woman's flat nipples, the baby is not fully captures them at feeding and bad empties the breast.
nursing mothers, it is important to choose the right lingerie.Tight bra squeezes the breast and provokes lactostasis.Refusing to wear a bra can not - freely hanging down his chest will be filled with milk, faster and more.
habit of sleeping on your stomach increases the likelihood lactostasis.
Breastfeeding mothers should avoid stressful situations, they can trigger arrhythmias milk production.
Symptoms and signs lactostasis
lactostasis is not a disease, unlike its complications - mastitis.All changes in the lactostasis are one-sided.In multiparous women lactostasis occurs much less frequently.
lactostasis usually develops 5-10 days after birth.The earlier a woman pay attention to the trouble in the breast, the more likely it is to avoid unintended consequences.In the initial stage of development lactostasis noteworthy atypical outflow of milk from the breasts during pumping: the jet of milk looks thinner and / or intermittently flows.During feeding a child may behave restlessly: baby has to make more effort to get the required amount of milk, he quickly gets tired and eats.With the worsening of stagnation, the number of express milk can significantly reduce (or altogether cease from one of the shares), and the very racking when lactostasis becomes painful.
during self-breast there is an increase in the size of one breast.In this section of the breast is determined by the seal, sometimes like "ball" or "cake" without clear boundaries.The seal may sometimes be moderately painful, and the skin over it looks inflamed, with severe vascular pattern due to swelling.The zone of stagnation can move and change their breast size.
lactostasis little effect on the health of women.There is a feeling of heaviness or fullness in the breast.Temperature lactostasis frequently remains in the normal range or slightly increased (not higher than 37 4 ° C).The high temperature at lactostasis points to join the infection.
should not be confused lactostasis and mastitis.Since lactostasis is the cause of lactation mastitis, and precedes it, it is very important to understand the differences in these states:
- lactostasis - it is not a disease but a momentary state of the mammary glands.Mastitis - a disease requires serious attention and treatment.
- Status of women in the lactostasis not suffer, when mastitis is always changing for the worse.Expressed breast pain, fever, inflammation and the presence of purulent process are specific to mastitis.
- lactostasis Symptoms may pass completely or significantly reduced by simply emptying the breast.Mastitis can be eliminated only by means of medication, and often surgical therapy.
If lactostasis background being a woman is getting worse, you need to see a specialist!
lactostasis should be eliminated as soon as possible.The basic principle of the therapy is to restore normal outflow of milk.To do this, sometimes it is enough to change the mode of feeding and frequently express milk.
Sometimes women just abandon newborn feeding, fearing that milk at lactostasis become "harmful".This misconception arises when nursing mothers lactostasis confused with purulent mastitis, in which really are not allowed to feed the baby.If lactostasis no more than three days, afraid of the baby should not be fed.However, it should be noted that the "older" lactostasis, the harder the child empty the breast.
important when lactostasis is the position the baby during feeding, his chin should always be directed toward the seal of the breast.Asked about the number of feedings is impossible to give a clear answer, since it is governed exclusively by the child if he is not hungry, just give up the breast.The best rhythm lactostasis breastfeeding when breastfeeding is not less than every two hours, but in real life it happens in all different ways.Initially, the child should be given the "sick" breast.Before serving recommend "warm up" the breast.For this fit a warm shower or a warm compress.As a compress can be used soaked in warm water and cloth that wraps the breast for 10-15 minutes.Heat promotes the expansion and relaxation of the milk ducts.
proven its breast massage.
If the seal is significantly, before feeding should try to express milk.Pumping at lactostasis has a therapeutic effect, in some cases it is enough to remove milk stagnation.During pumping the woman can see how thick leaves "milk jam", and then the outflow of milk from the affected breast recovers.If you can not eliminate lactostasis after pumping of the breast should feed the baby.After feeding on the chest you can put a cool (not cold!) Compress for 10 - 15minutes to reduce swelling and relieve discomfort.For this purpose, the fabric may be appropriate (eg, towel), soaked in cool water or cool water bottle.For breast with a portion lactostasis put the baby is more likely.
should not forget about breast health.It should follow the correct emptying it and put her baby in order to avoid stagnation of milk in it.
Expressing at lactostasis should be very careful not to damage the milk ducts.Too frequent pumping may provoke excessive milk production, so after each feeding to express milk is not recommended, it is enough to make not more than three times a day.After the liquidation of lactostasis additional pumping to cancel.
Some mothers try to eliminate their own lactostasis using all kinds of drugs.The most popular and erroneous ones are packs with alcohol, vodka or camphor.All these devices can not only aggravate the process, but also cause inflammatory reactions.The alcohol can do to stop lactation and camphor in contact with the breast milk can also harm the child.
Sometimes women ask whether it is possible to use any - any ointment at lactostasis to eliminate stagnation of milk.During feeding the baby when lactostasis have to make great efforts, which sometimes leads to cracking of the nipple and skin irritation.In this case, when lactostasis ointment is used to accelerate the healing of injuries.Choose the desired ointment helps doctor or health nurse.The use of antibacterial ointments with no signs of inflammation and infection is inappropriate.
If the first 2-3 days to eliminate lactostasis alone can not, you need to seek medical help.
Massage at lactostasis
Strengthening the outflow of milk contribute massaging motion in the direction from the periphery toward the nipple.Self-massage should be light and not to cause sharp pain.Too aggressive massaging motion can damage the milk ducts crowded.
are two kinds of hand movements - stroking and rubs.It is best to massage the soul, with the participation of warm water before feeding or pumping.
Training in breast massage at lactostasis carried out by specialists.Nurse, visiting teacher mother and child at home, also has the skills of massage the chest and can learn to do it correctly.Massage is useful if it is done correctly and on time.
timely emptying the breast is the most reliable preventive measure lactostasis and prevention of mastitis.
cope with signs lactostasis can use simple actions:
- Try to release the "sick" breast milk in a short time - apply to her baby more often and express the remaining milk between feedings.Remember, pumping immediately after feeding causes the inflow of new milk.
- Rough massage and aggressive pumping harm your state.
- Do not apply to areas of consolidation "warming" compresses or antibacterial ointment.
- I Take care of the nipples and the skin of the breast, to prevent cracking.
- lactostasis If symptoms are aggravated, consult a specialist.