sciatica - a neurological inflammatory disease of the sciatic nerve, which is accompanied by pain of various kinds.The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve of the body, which supplies the entire lower part of the body, starting from the lumbar spine.His injury, irritation or inflammation leads to the fact that a person begins to feel a sharp pain shooting or that usually begins in the lower back and spreads along the nerve in the hips, buttocks and legs.During pain episodes a person is unable to stand, sit, bend down and go to sleep.Most often, this pathology occurs in people over age group
Sciatica - the causes of
- Various spinal injury
- infection in the pelvic area
- a herniated disc
- Irritation or pinched nerve roots
- frequent intense strain on the spine
- Tumours in the spine
Sciatica - Symptoms
for a correct diagnosis, the symptoms of sciatica play a decisive role.
- Pain shooting character, as a result of which patients with severe vstat
- Pain when bending the body and while walking
- enhanced by seat acute pain the buttocks
- Weakness or numbness in one (sometimes two) leg
Initial diagnosis is based on examination and symptoms.However, sometimes in cases of dispute, for a more accurate diagnosis, doctors have resorted to additional methods of research:
- Computed tomography
- manual diagnosis
- neuroorthopedic survey
- Doppler ultrasound (Doppler ultrasound)
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
Sciatica - treatment
In the case of the complex after studies accurately confirm the diagnosis - sciatica, treatment should begin immediately.
main treatment methods:
- Vibrotermichesky massage
- Blockade inflamed nerve
- Reception pharmacological anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, diclofenac and Ortophenum) and pain medication for individually designed lay-out + taking medication to relax the muscles (muscle relaxants)
- Manual therapy (lymphatic drainage technique, mobilization and manipulation techniques, postisometric relaxation, myofascial releasing)
- Vacuum magnetic therapy
- tailor-made set of physical exercises
When a stable form of the disease used surgicaltreatments for sciatica: microdiscectomy, discectomy, and laminectomy.The operation consists in removing part of the disk, which irritates the back of the spinal cord, thus reduces inflammation and pressure on koreshok.Hirurgicheskoe intervention carried out in exceptional circumstances, if conservative treatment has not produced the desired effect and the pain does not stop for a long time.
In conclusion I would like to add that sciatica cure yourself (as many people believe) with special physical exercises and taking certain herbs - it is impossible.Self-medication is able to only further aggravate for sciatica.Treatment of the disease should be carried out exclusively in the institution competent in the field of treatment of spine specialists.
More articles on the topic:
1. Acrodynia 2. Raynaud's syndrome