green salad is not too often appears on our table.Lettuce and many of the normal product is not thinking that it is suitable only dreaming lady lose weight or belief vegetarians.And, of course, lettuce not feed this man.However, the irony in this case is completely out of place - the "light" product for its useful properties will give odds to many familiar to all foods.
Lettuce gladly eaten by the Romans.Its name comes from Herba Salata, which translated from Latin means "salty grass".In those days, with salad were working long, large leaves of the plant simply tore and poured olive oil, salted.In the Middle Ages the leaves of lettuce Serve as a side dish to meat dishes.
Useful properties of lettuce and greens
Few people know that all salad greens contain vitamin C and carotene in an amount that can give odds to many fruits and vegetables.
- For example, dill and parsley are rich in carotene content in these products is 1.5 milligrams per 100 grams of green.It is more than well-known all sources
Carotenoids, which are contained in the leaves of lettuce and herbs in large quantities, can help maintain good vision, good for health of skin and mucous, can even protect against Alzheimer's disease.
- Vitamin C lettuce contains 10 to 50 milligrams per 100 grams of product, virtually the same as the recognized leader in the content of this essential vitamin us - lemons.
- addition, it contains useful plant folic acid, B vitamins and minerals.Folic acid is beneficial for both children and their parents.Especially well it can affect the reproductive function of women and men.
- in lettuce leaves a lot of vitamin K, which is involved in the regulation of blood clotting.
- All green leaves contain a variety of minerals: sodium, copper, iodine, potassium, phosphorus, zinc and iron.
Lettuce: how to store and use
- Lettuce leaves should be stored in the refrigerator, in the vegetable compartment.
- salad in storage should be wrapped in paper or plastic bag, otherwise it will dry up and pozhuhnet.
- Before sending the salad in the refrigerator for storage, it is necessary to dry the lettuce leaves.Wet leaves in the package quickly fade.
- to serving the leaves do not need to cut, you can break the big hands, and small easy to understand.
- not prepare the salad in advance and fill the salt it is immediately before use.
- Salad is used not only for decoration, and it serves as a side dish, and an addition to meat and fish, as a standalone product.
- Excellent combination - a lettuce with garlic or lemon juice.In this case, they optionally even add some salt.
More on the topic:
Secrets of cooking lettuce
kinds of salads account for more than a century, but they are divided into leaf and head out:
- Arugula - a lettuce with a pronounced spicy taste.This species is known for a long time, more than two millennia.Arugula is very much appreciated in record carotenoids and vitamin C.
- iceberg - this is the most popular type of lettuce, which got its name because of its storage during delivery, leaves of salad while interspersed with ice.Leaflets Berg appetizing crunch as fresh cabbage.However, the taste of this product is much tastier and more tender.It contains a large amount of water.
- to crunchy salad leaves are Romain, who is rich in sodium, Radicchio Red - it contains a lot of calcium and iron, Chinese cabbage - lettuce.
- Very nice look at the holiday table leaf oakleaf lettuce and bright with small leaves Korn.
- Curly Friese or greenish-red Lollo Rosso indispensable for feeding with meat or fish dishes.